These gluten-free, bite-sized cookies from Chocolate-Covered Katie are sure to wow your guests at any holiday party or other small gathering. They are like a cinnamon roll, cream cheese danish, and sugar cookie all in one! The recipe is simple, the only challenge is trying not to eat them all yourself… Bon Appetit!
(makes 11-13 stuffed cookies)
- 3/4 cup (not packed) whole-wheat pastry flour (or spelt flour, or all-purpose. Readers say you can use a gf all-purpose mix if you add extra liquid so it’s not crumbly.) (120g)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup xylitol or sugar (55g)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2-4 tsp milk of choice (8-16g)
- 3 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (35g)
- a bowl of equal parts cinnamon and xylitol or sugar for rolling (Omit if desired.)
- filling ingredients listed below
Instructions for the Filling:
- Combine 2 tsp powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons cream cheese-style spread (I used Tofutti non-hydrogenated, but I’m sure other full-fat brands such as Follow Your Heart or Trader Joes would be fine.)
- Beat well, then set aside.
Instructions for the Cookies:
- In a mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients and stir very well.
- In a separate bowl, combine all liquid ingredients and stir.
- Pour wet into dry and stir to form a cookie dough.
- Smush into a giant ball with your hands (or, as an easier trick: transfer dough to a plastic bag and smush into a ball once the dough is inside the bag).
- Now roll into 22-26 mini cookie dough balls, then flatten each and divide the filling among only half of the flat discs.
- Place the other discs on top, cinch the sides, then roll into balls.
- Roll the balls in the bowl of cinnamon-sugar, place on a baking tray, and chill for at least 30 minutes. (If you desire crispy cookies, you can skip this chilling step.)
- Preheat oven to 325, and cook 11 minutes- they’ll still look a little underdone, but that’s okay. Important: allow cookies to cool at least 10 minutes before trying to remove from tray.